Sore back, pulsating pain in lower rib area, discomfort. Any ideas?

Out of the blue I ve been experiencing a sore back on my left side and sharp pulsating pains/spasms in my lower left rib area. I really dont know what it is from as one moment I was fine and a few seconds later it was there and has lasted for a few days. It was getting better over the course of 2-3 days but today it s been the worst i ve experienced the discomfort. Any ideas?
Asked On : Sat, 8 Dec 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us

The pain at the bottom of the rib cage on the left side could be due to a renal infection or a stone if the pain does not seem to be muscular in nature. This can be ruled out after getting an ultrasound scan done.
If the pain is aggravated with deep breathing or coughing then a rib injury or a muscular sprain is likely.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.