Sore area on nipples that get erect with nipples, looks discolored and gets itchy. Any suggestions?

I am a 43 y/o male and am experiencing some symptoms with my nipples/ areolas that I am concerned about. For several months I have noticed that a small area around my nipples become erect when my nipples become erect. The area is also very itchy and even looks slightly discolored (kind of opaque) and dry. My biggest complaint is the itching but secondary is the areola growth, though not much it is new to me. My wife says she barely notices but it still bothers me. My GP is an internist and he feels it is dermal and his next step is to biopsy the areola. I am nervous about this and am concerned that this could be a hormonal imbalance. My testosterone was tested a year ago at 417. My Dr thinks it is unecessary to test again as he suggests the level will not drop in a year. Any suggestions?
Asked On : Tue, 6 Nov 2012