Sore and swollen throat, fever, extreme pain while swallowing. How can I cure this?

Hi my husband has been feeling sick for the last past 4 days. It started with a sore throat then fever so he went to a Dr who said it might be an ear infection he prescribed Azithromycin 250mg he s been on it for 2 days But now he can t even swallow with out having extreme pain So I told him to open his mouth to see his throat and half of he throat I can t see of how swollen his left side is. Is that normal? How can we get rid of that faster? Thank you for your time Hope to hear from you very soon
Asked On : Sat, 15 Dec 2012