Soft lump in the neck area, casing difficulty in sleeping, feeling of torn cartilage. Is this a sign of osteoarthritis?

Hello,My partner recently developed a soft-bulge type lump on the back of his neck area,which causes pain and difficulty sleeping from constant sore neck. It feel like torn cartilage over-stretched laying over the actual bone area it bands over from one side to the other side of the cervical (c7 ) area . He lifts alot of heavy motors and work hard with lots of lifting and twisting (over45 years).He has experienced gout in his foot maybe once a year (mostly spring time) and getting constant achy joints, migraine headache with the weather changes also. Could this be early signs of osteoarthritis or more likely a torn ligament , muscle type injury with swelling .. causing an inflammation in between the discs? (so far no tingling in arms or legs, no fever,he has regular blood pressure ).
Asked On : Fri, 15 Jun 2012