Smoking addiction, have severe trauma on the heel due to accident. Am I at greater risk during surgery due to smoking habit?

Hi my sisters husband just had a major car accident and his right heel has been shattered to a million pieces. It just happened a few days ago he is currently in a cast waiting on the swelling to go down before any type of surgery etc. my question is because he is a smoker is he at more high risk of problems with surgery and he is a carpenter do you think he could continue being a carpenter when recovered
Asked On : Fri, 20 Jul 2012