Smoking addiction, have continuous cough with phlegm, pain on the Adam's apple, difficulty in swallowing. What treatment is advisable?

I was sick for 2 weeks and after my sickness went away i was still coughing up flem when i felt a pain by my adams apple and now its been 3 days and it still hurts only when I swollow.I have a ENT appointment on Monday @ 2:30 to find out what it is.My question is i m 42 and a smoker and I don t think its an Illness but a strain or infection or God forbid Cancer .What do you think it would most likely be?
Asked On : Mon, 23 Apr 2012