Smoking addict, have consistent sore throat, heaviness in eyes causing them to shut. Any ideas?

I was diagnosed with pink eye and strep throat in the same visit approx. 3 weeks ago (December 12), and placed on amoxicillin and ciprofloxacin eye drops. The symptoms were gone almost immediately (within 24 hours). On the evening of December 23, I started to feel a sore throat coming on again, along with my left eye being full of tears . Since then, I have had a sore throat on one side or the other, and eyes that have been stuck shut almost every night. My eyes are not red and don t feel like pink eye - they just seal shut with what seems like some kind of mucus. The biggest discomfort is the sore throat. Any ideas? I am 34 yrs old, a pack-a-day smoker, 6 ft. tall, and weight about 220lbs. I have no other major health problems and no surgery beyond orthopedic and oral surgery .
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013