Smoker, had sore throat, fever. Coughing up blood in mucous every morning. What could this be?

Hi, I have been coughing up blood every morning for the past week. The blood is coming up in my mucus and is dark red but this gradually dilutes as the day progresses. I have been smoking for about a year and a half and am 20 years old. I had a sore throat and high temperature a couple of days before this started. Can you possibly give me an indication of what the problem might be? Also, do I need to go to the hospital or just wait until I can get an appointment which happens to be in a couple of weeks?
Asked On : Wed, 17 Oct 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi, dark red blood is usually clotted/altered blood and may come from the nasal bleeding which can get clotted and present like this. Altered blood can also come from stomach. Altered blood usually does not come from chest but can be a possibility. Please get your self examined from an ENT and you may need to undergo a nasal endoscopy, Chest Xray, ESR and upper GI endoscopy. And. stop smaokingRegards