Small opening down the food pipe causing food into windpipe, advised stunt. What will be the side effects?

Hi My FIL was diagnosed that his food pipe was narrow and hence a procedure was done to remove the blockage. Now the problem is that down the food pipe there is a small opening as a result the food goes to the wind pipe. So the doc has suggested a stunt to be put into the food pipe to block the opening. What are the side effects if the stunt is there? He is 76 years old.
Asked On : Sun, 26 Aug 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
hello. your doctor is right in advicing a stent to be placed in the food pipe. although rare , the stent can get dislodged , blocked or may erode the wall of the food pipe. these are very rare and i suggest you go ahead. thanks