Small lump in throat. Feels like about to get cold. Serious?

hi im 18 years old and i recently found out that i have a small lump on the left side of my throat . It doesnt hurt or bother me at all. I do feel like im about to get a cold , but im also a smoker. I found out i had it this week, when i just randomly put my hand on my neck and felt it. Like i said it doesnt bother me but im not sure how long it s been there? My health teacher said that it could be my body fighting off germs because i do feel like im about to get a cold? It s not that noticable but should i go see a docter in person? Do you think it could be something serious?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013