Small lump behind ear, growing and shrinking, tenderness, red skin above it. Cause of concern?

I have a small lump behind my right ear. Some days it is small and some days it is larger. It is not painful, but I can feel a little tenderness, or something along those lines, when i move it around. The skin above it is red but I m not sure if its because i have moved it around a lot today. It has been there for around two months or a month and a half. Is it likely harmful or harmless?
Asked On : Thu, 6 Sep 2012

Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.

Small and nodular lump in the neck and behind the ear are mostly due to swollen lymph node unless proved otherwise. Presence of redness and tenderness above the lump probably suggest the infection is localised above the area.

The short duration history of symptoms and the described condition sounds a benign condition, however it warrants a clinical examination. You may need a course of antibiotic for the time being. Further diagnostic and therapeutic procedure is entailed should the symptom worsen or if you develop fresh and severe symptoms.

Hope I answered your query.