Small child, vaginal masturbation when sitting on a chair. Cause of worry?

Dear Dr XXXXXX, My daughter is a healthy happy three year old. However, I am bit concerned or maybe just bit upset at the moment. She is performing what looks like self stimulation/masturbation when she sits on a chair. Especially when her legs are hanging down and not touching the ground. We are trying to ignore and not make a big fuss about it, but as a mum I find it quite disturbing!Advise please!!! Thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 4 Jan 2013
I appreciate your concern for your baby.
sexual self stimulation is a common behavior in toddlers.they are just exploring their body and find pleasure by rubbing their genitalia.
You need not to worry about it,just ignore her behavior,try to spend more time with her,indulge her in some playful activities.This habit will slowly go.
Take care,God bless.
Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
It is normal for a 3 year old child to touch and stimulate the genital region and it is like a play for them and according to Freudian theory the development of child is bodily-centered(broadly sexual)drives which may shift from oral to anal to phallic ....stages in growing age. Just ignore the stage and it will disappear soon as the age grows. If we objects for the child act then parental-child conflict occurs and may manifest with other symptoms. So it is normal during this age group to touch the genital organs and ignorance is the best method to negatively reinforce the child act.
Pediatrician Dr. Kaushik K Murthy's  Response
nothing to worry, it ll subside as the time passes, divert her attention during the act or get her invloved in some other activity.