Small child, stubborn behavior, crankiness, ignorant nature, throws tantrums frequently. Treatment?

Hi, it is related to my child s stubborn n ignorant nature. My elder boy is 2 n half yr old. He is very cranky n knows how to get his work done by crying out loud no matter where he is. He never listens to me instead yells bk at me fr scolding him n asking him to behave . Not to forget to mention that i hv anothr boy who is just 7 months old. My email id is: YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

At 2 1/2 , your son is only now developing his personality and it is certainly not fixed in stone. At his age he may be testing you , they tend to do that at this age.
If you ask him to firmly do something and he refuses, then you will firmly (no shouting) tell him the consequences of his action such as time out.
He would be placed in time out for 3 minutes (based on his age) and would have to stay there till the time is out, he is not allowed to move at all.
At the end of the timeout, you would go to him, bend to his level and he would apologise for what ever he did.

Tell him what is not allowed in the house: no yelling , no aggressive behaviour from anyone

You can put up a chart with different colours, starting with green for good, progressing through yellow and orange to red. If he stays on green for a certain amount of days, he gets a reward.If he goes on red then he goes to time out.

I hope this helps

Pediatrician Dr. Synthyia Bhagat's  Response
Your child is having aggressive behavior but this is a part of development in many kids.
As you said you are having 7 month old baby as well,so it could be a part of sibling rivalry.
He is showing his frustration.
You have to be patient with him,do not scold it will aggravate his behavior.
Spend time with him,indulge him in some constructive games,play with him .reward him for his good behavior.involve him in process of taking care of his sibling.
Give him good nutritious diet.
Wishing your child good health.
God bless.