Small child, stool stains on underwear. Due to constipation or poor hygiene?

My 7 yr old daughter has had major poop stains in her underwear for 12 months now. We ve stressed wiping properly and even demonstrate how (moist toilet tissue etc). From reading I take it this is either constipation where she thinks poop is going to hurt if she goes so she s holding in, just bad hygiene which would be frustrating because we have emphasized that, or something else? Help, this is getting serious and I don t want her to get made fun of in school.
Asked On : Wed, 3 Oct 2012