Small child, rough indented toe nails, premature birth. Medical attention required?

My 22 months old son has always had rough indented toe nails . Only his big ones. Why is that? Will he grow out of it or do I need to see a doctor??? No ones ever said anything about it except when he was born. He was born a month earlier and they said its because he was earlier? I ve never seen any other child have this! Help!!
Asked On : Wed, 16 Jan 2013

Thank you for your query.

The nails will remain rough as it is condition from the growth plate of the nail. Unfortunately nothing can be done to prevent it from happening.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best.

Pediatrician, Neonatology Dr. Aarti Gupta's  Response
thanku for your query,
well the rough indented toe nails in your child is most probably because he was a premature baby ,but do rule out iron deficiency and vitamin deficiency ,sometimes it can be seen in children having repeated infections because of low immunity. For this u need to show it to your pediatrician .
well once the cause is cured surely the nail will grow normally.
i hope i answered your query to your satisfaction level
god bless
Dr Aarti