Small child, raised bump on face, filled with blood, no skin trauma. Causes and treatment?

My son, 11 months old, recently developed a light red, blood filled, raised bump on his face. It doesn t seem to hurt him, but it does seem to get slightly bigger over time (It has been about a month since I first noticed it). Once he scratched it somehow and it bled for quite a while considering the very small size of this bump. I don t remember him receiving any skin traumas or cuts. Any idea what it might be? Will it go away with time or would it need to be removed? Again it doesn t bother him at all and he is a very happy lively baby, it just concerns me.
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012
Pediatrician, Neonatology 's  Response
thanku for your query,
well i understand your concern , according to the history u have provided it seems a haemangioma , which is generally benign in nature and regresses by itself. 50% self involutes by 5 yrs and 90% regress by 10years. well the cause of it is still not known . the complication of it is ulceration due to surface breakdown , sometimes it can be deep ,causing good amount of bleeding.i will advice to show it to a pediatrician.
i hope i answered your query
god bless
Dr Aarti