Small child, large lump on face near ear. Taken antibiotics, swelling has not reduced. Causes and cure?

my 3 year woke up 2 mornings ago with a large lump on his face (about 1 inch), right in front of his ear. We took him to the hospital the first day and were given antibiotics and were given 3 possible answers to what it could be. My concern is, It is no smaller and he obviously does not feel good. What could this be? How could he have gotten it? How long is it going to be there? What can I do to make it go away?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013