Small child having cough and cold. Given ambrolite-s, gripe water. Treatment for symptoms?

Hello Doctor! My son is running cold & cough , so my doctor prescribed Ambrolite-S. We gave him a dose of 5 ml y day. At around 12 midnight, he woke up & cried for about 30 min. We didn t give him the dose today, but even then he woke up at around the same time & cried hard. We gave him some warm water & a tablespoon of gripe water. After about 30 min, he went back to sleep. What could be causing this problem?
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012