Small child, fever, loss of appetite, ear infection, swollen bleeding gums. Symptoms due to fever?

my 23 month old has been running a fever and no appetite for 4 days now. I took him to Dr 2 days ago and they diagnosed a double ear infection and put him on cefzil. After we left Dr office, he started saying that his mouth hurt. H is gums are swollen and very red. I took him back to Dr this morning so she could look at his mouth. She said it may be from having a fever. I ve never heard of a fever causing gums to swell and bleed and be so painful that a person can t eat. I m looking for a second opinion. what are your thoughts?
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012