Small child, dry cough without mucus, sudden bouts of rapid breathing, excessive drowsiness. Serious symptoms?

My 6 month old has had a dry cough for a while now. In the last week, it has gotten more frequent but still dry (no mucus ). Last night, she slept for 8.5 hrs in a row which she never does followed by 3 naps already today. I noticed when playing with her she had little spouts of rapid breathing . Should I call her pediatrician now or in the morning? Or am I just being too sensitive?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
Night time sleep for 8.5 hours at a stretch is normal for a 6 months old baby and the naps will be divided with in between playing during the daytime.
For cough you can give mucolytic cough drops after consulting your doctor.
Intermittent rapid breathing is seen in infants during playing, excited mood but if it is continuous then it is concerning thing.
Consult your Pediatrician in the morning and take proper meidcation advise.
Hope I have answered your query.