Small child, bitten by snake, two small holes on foot, pain. Cleaned with peroxide, benadryl given. Precautions?

I think my 5 year old son might have been bit by a small snake. I have never seen poisionous snake around here but I wanted to see what type of symptoms I should watch for and how long will it take to show symptoms. I have seen some black snakes and garter snake around here which are non-venumous. The bite is 2 small holes on the top of his foot . I cleaned it with poroxide and gave him benadryl . I did not see what bit and he just started yelling it hurts and I ran to him. It is only swelled a little bit and he just said it hurts a little now.
Asked On : Thu, 12 Jul 2012
Thanks for your query,
I think your son was bite by non poisonous snake.It will take 1-3 hours to get symptoms depends upon the intensity of venom penetrates in body.
Usually snake bite causes bleeding disorder so watch for any bleeding from mouth, ears, nose, in stool or in urine.
Watch for his mental status as he feels drowsy or falling sleepy etc.You can very well confirm this by asking some questions.
The last thing is give him booster dose of tetanus toxoid.Wish him a speedy recovery.