Small bump between upper and lower jaw, pain on touching, cold. Causes and treatment?

Hello. Well, I have been having pain in the area where my upper and lower jaw meet. I believe it is called the retromolar trigone. I can see a small bump that feels soft and hurts when touched. It is also really painful to open or close my mouth or to chew. I have had a cold for the past four days but this bump is just very painful and difficult to manage. Do you have any idea what it might be or how to go about fixing it?
Asked On : Thu, 8 Nov 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan and I shall try to help you out with your problem

The bump around the retromolar trigone are since is of a short duration can be due to many causes most of which are benign and harmless so you do not have anything to worry about.

You may start a course of anti reflux medication like pantoprazole, along with an antihistamine like levcetrizine. Your doctor will know about these.

Since it hurts then you may also have an infection in the area. Try an antibiotic like the amox-clav in consultation with your doctor.

get a dental consultation and see if there is anything like a jagged teeth which is irritating the area

Take only non spicy, non oily and warm food and fluids

take proper meal at proper and correct time. Do not immediately lie down after food.

Take a course of multivitamin like zincovit in consultation with your doctor

If you do not get better in a week or so then you must consult an ENT doctor who may advice further course of action which may include endoscopy and may be even biopsy to get a better picture

take care and do not worry

Dr Sriram Nathan