Small amount of blood with mucus after periods. Reason?

Hi, i started my period 3 days late, and i am always on time. the bleeding was pretty normal. it finished on Friday and from Sunday I am noticing very small amounts of blood mixed with mucus only after wiping. blood doesn't always come, but i do get mucus most of the time. the blood is a bright red, like fresh blood. can you please explain what this could be. please note i am trying to get pregnant.
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013
Firstly, please make sure that you are getting the mucus from your vagina. If it is mixed with blood, you should approach a gynecologist for a local exam to exclude local causes of bleeding. You should also get a trans-vaginal sonogram to exclude/confirm pregnancy, though the chances are remote after a normal cycle recently. Hormonal imbalances also can cause such a picture. Hope your query is answered. Take care.