Slight itching in eyes, small amount of yellow crust while waking up, redness in eyes. Should seek medical attention ?

Yesterday my eyes felt slightly itchy, I did not rub them. This morning when I woke there was a small amount of yellow crust on both eyes and they were quite red. I gently wiped them with a warm clean cloth. There is no discharge now but they are red & itchy. They just don t feel right . Should I seek medical attention?
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Dear Libby,Hi ,From your history and finding I could make out that you are suffering from conjunctivitis. It may be viral or bacterial.Since there is less discharge ,it may be viral.It is contagious and may spread to other members of the family.Use separate towels and soaps .The discharge of your eye should be wiped with a clean cotton.Use some antibiotic drops 4 to 6 times a day along with tear subtitutes to have some soothing effect on your eyes.It may take 4 to 5days to resolve.But,I still recommend you to show an ophthalmologist who can evaluate you completely and do proper management .TC...dr Ajay Shankar Kar