Sliced thumb deep. Used dermal bond. Why is it numb after healing?

Hi doctor. My husband sliced is thumb open kindda like you would peel an apple only slightly deeper. He was changing the broadhead on his arrow when it slipped. Anyway we went to the emergency room and instead of stitches the put dermal bond on it. They advised him to keep pressure and keep in bandage unfilled all the blood stopped comming to the top. It healed but now he complains that it is numb and sometimes burns and tingles. What could be wrong? My guess is the nerves are trying to come back to life so to speak. Any ideas anything to worry about
Asked On : Thu, 24 May 2012
Radiologist 's  Response
May 2014
Thanks for writing in.

A cut finger nerve can be missed immediately following the injury. The cut may be closed in the emergency room before numbness is recognized. It is possible that he still has some internal swelling causing nerve compression - if this is so, the numbness will go away once the swelling comes down. If the sensations do not return with time, it can be a severed nerve injury. As pain decreases, numbness can become more obvious and requires a visit to a hand surgeon.

Hope this helps