Skin turning black and splitting open, teeth falling out. Not contagious. Which rare disease is this?

a friend of my family had a very rare disease that caused his skin to turn black, his skin split open, teeth started to fall out and it finally killed him. at the time when he had it i was told by my parents that he was told that only one other case was known and it was in another country. it was not contagious all this happened about 20 to 25 years ago and was wondering if you would know what it was thank you for your time
Asked On : Wed, 8 Aug 2012
Hi, thank you for writing on healthcare Magic.
With this presentation, I think it is a case of a disease called gas gangrene. It is rare but not very rare. It is a deadly form of gangrene usually caused by a germ called Clostridium perfringens. The germ is soil-borne and enters the body through a skin breakage (so it not contagious). It leads to death if not treated in 100% of cases.
I hope that answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.
I wish you good health