Skin removed due to fall. Applied antibiotic cream. Feeling itchy with red bumps. Is it healing process?

I had a fall last week that resulted in 2 large patches of skin removed on either side of my right elbow (looks very similar to typical road rash). Because I fell in gritty, muddy water, I initially used gauze to help make sure all the dirt and grit was removed. I used basic cleaning and bandaging methods of soap and water, rinse, sometimes used saline solution to make sure rinsed properly, sprayed bactine , then applied sterile gauze (or now, non-stick bandage ) with antibiotic ointment. Repeated these steps every 12 hours. At first it seemed to heal okay, with nice, new pinkish skin coming in. Then yesterday (a week after the event) I noticed small, raised red bumps that have now become very itchy. Does this mean I now have an infection, or is this part of the healing process with new skin forming? I am always sure to wash my hands before and after bandage changes. What should I do since I am already using antibiotic ointment? Also I have noticed some moderate pain around my elbow and upper forearm . I figured this was due to the fall and possible small nerve damage. Gets better after taking NSAIDs. I know my arm is not broken; I haven t experienced any loss of movement except for the stiffness associated with the new, tight skin around my elbow. Oh and the area with the red bumps is not painful to the touch.
Asked On : Mon, 27 Aug 2012