Skin on the top of knee cap turned purple, haven't banged it. What could it be ?

Yesterday the skin on the top of my knee cap turned purple the whole of the knee cap. It is still dark purple and seems to have spread to just below the top of my knee cap . I haven t banged it nor done any exercise for two days so haven t hurt it. I can walk fine etc. when I push on the purple area with my finger the skin goes a brown color, i am lily white, then back to purple in about 4 seconds. Would normally go to my gp but in the process of moving - plane flight tomorrow morning and in hotel at the moment, so am unable to do so. What do you think it would be? Any reason to be concerned? Flying okay?
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013