Skin condition. Protein blocking pores. Why did they become red and purple?

My 21 month has had skin condution on his face since about birth. I thought it was bany acne but now he s too old for that. The nirse practitioner said it was protein blocking his pores and moisturizer would take care of it but it doesn t seem ro help. He has raised bumps that never completely go away and lately his cheecks near his nose are very red. Today both cheecks are completely red, almost purple and his right forearm is red. His upper thighs are blotchy as well. When you look at him its almost alarming but he s acting like he feels ok. Should he be seen right away or wait until his pediatriian can see him suring the week? Any ideas what could be causing this?
Asked On : Wed, 2 May 2012