Skin came out with tampon. Is it serious something?

So me and my gf have had sex a few times and we haven t been active in a little while but this week she has been on her period and today she took out her tampon and a peice of skin come down and is now hanging inside of it she said it doesn t hurt at all untill she pulls on it to see what it is please help us she is very worried and as am I I feel so bad for her right now. Thank you
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jan 2013
Mar 2013
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
She could be having a vaginal tag.
These are normal fleshy masses of tissue attached to the vaginal wall.
You should ask her to have a gynecological examination.
These skin tags should be examined visually and differentiated from HPV lesions.
ALso, as you are sexually active, it is a good idea to screen her and yourself for STDs.
Make sure that it is not a polyp also.
Do not pull on it, until you have a diagnosis.
All the best.