Skin broke after hitting mid shin. Leg hurt, numb and tingling. Should I be concerned?

I just hit my mid-shin very hard on a corner of an open drawer. It broke the skin, but more like an indentation than a laceration. The pain was excruciating. My entire lower leg is hurting along my shin line and my big toe and top inside of my foot is a bit numb and tingly. Is this something to be concerned about? Could I have actually fractured my leg? I m 43 and I ve never broken anything before so I have no idea how it feels. :(
Asked On : Sat, 23 Jun 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I do not think it is a fracture and most probably it is soft tissue injury. I would suggest you to apply ice pack, rest and Brufen tablet. On that wound you can apply antiseptic cream like Mupirocen ointment. Also apply compression bandage.