Sides of both the lips look burned and sore after tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. Cause and cure?

My son is 3 years old and just got a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy yesterday morning. When he was released, the side of both of his lips look somewhat burned. I don t know if it is burned or not, but it is pretty dark and looks sore. What is the cause of this and will this go away? It s pretty dark and I am scared it might stay there. I asked the nurse who was with me after his surgery and she said it was probably from the tape that they used. I highly doubt she knew anything because this by far did not look like it was from tape. My mother thinks they burned the side of his lips while burning off his tonsils. I need to know what the cause of this is and if it will go away. Thank you.
Asked On : Wed, 5 Dec 2012