Shoulder pain. Pops when lifting. No help with medicines, physiotherapy. Suggestions?

I have a question regarding my brother who has been complaining about shoulder pains since labor day weekend of last year. He explained to me that he was out on the lake tubing and as the driver was trying to throw him off the tube by driving the boat in circles. After he was thrown off he immediately felt aching pains in both his shoulders and they would pop whenever he tried lifting his arms straight out to his sides. I recommended him taking fish oil pills and glucosamine pills to help with his shoulder joints, hoping that it would help the pain over time but it hasn t seemed to work. He has also iced and heated his shoulders and done a couple physical therapy sessions. He is no longer able to workout with me and can t lift anything heavy without his shoulders hurting him. He did a single pushup earlier today and I heard his shoulders pop about 5 or 6 times all at once. If you have any idea of what could be the problem, have any questions on any minor details, or any recommendations of what he should do it would be much appreciated. Thanks. Just a little added info he is 19 years old and was very athletic all throughout high school, playing lacrosse.
Asked On : Tue, 12 Mar 2013