Shoulder has sharp pain on movement with pain in upper arm. X-ray clear. History of cervical fusion. Cause?

I am 52 yrs old. My left shoulder has been extremely painful since June with sharp pain upon movement which includes getting dressed, showering, etc... along with pain in the upper arm muscle. I recently had an x-ray taken and it showed no abnormalities. I do suffer from Degenerative Joint and Disc deseases and have had a cervical fusion of the C-5 through C-7 done about 15 years ago. My neck is now in just about as bad shape adt it was then, but they said nothing more could be done for me there. What is going on with my shoulder?
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013