Shoulder catch, painful. Applied muscle relaxant. Shoulder numbness. Reason?

I had a catch on my upper back right shoulder 4 weeks back while I was trying to lift my 2 yr kid. The pain was such that I could not move even a bit and I had to lie down for pain to recede. After some time I was back to normal and started doing my daily chores. Following week I again had a catch at the same spot in the morning which eased again after sometime. This time the pain went away but some time later the pain was concentrated at 1 particular point specifically at back upper right shoulder.
This pain continued for sometime and then went off after I applied muscle relaxant ointment. I had long drive 3 days ago back home today. Now for last 2-3 days I am feeling number on my upper right shoulder, armpit area and arm joint near right shoulder. I have stopped my regular jogging due to this for last 2-3 weeks.

what could be the reason?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013