Should we try removing dis-solvable stitches ourselves ?

My son had four dissolvable stitches on his chin ten days ago. Stitches are still there and the cut looks quite red. He says it doesn t hurt. Should we try to remove the remaining stitches ourselves?
Asked On : Tue, 6 Mar 2012
Dentist 's  Response

as the stitches are dis solvable and the wound is quite red you should not remove the stitches. Let it heal by itself and stitches to dis solve by its own.
take care of his diet and medicine.

Dr. Vishal Jain, Vitaldent, faridabad.
Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. M Agarwal's  Response
Hello. welcome to HCM,
You need not remove dis solvable stitches. Just make sure that the wound is protected from injury and other foreign body. Normally surgical cuts may take 2-4 weeks to completely heal. make sure, he takes his antibiotics as recommened. If the doctor has advised not to dress up wound any more, it is better to apply neosprin powder twice or thrice a day.
General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi , welcome to H.C.M.Forum, disolvable stitches desolves only inside where it is in contact with body fluids. by a gentle touch they will come away.if you feel any difficulty go to the doctor and get it done. if they are left like that there is chance of getting infected. thank you.