Shortness of breath, severe panic attacks. Chest X-ray shows inflation of lungs. Stopped smoking years ago. Fatal form of COPD?

Hi, I recently started experiencing shortness of breath accompanied by sever panic attacks. Despite the fact that the frequency of the attacks has decreased my breathing issues persist. Symptoms include feeling of being chocked, unable to draw a full breath of air, breathing has become a conscious and laboured effort. Results of my chest x-ray show an over-inflation of my lungs as I was advised by by GP today. Treatment with a respiratory specialist has been arranged but won t take place before March . I should mention that I did smoke for ten years on and off but gave up fully and successfully three years ago without ever presenting respiratory issues until November last year. After some research I came across the information that most lung inflations are associated with emphysema which will result in death. Can you let me know based on the above history how likely it is for a 28 year old female ( BMI 18.5) to have developed a fatal form of COPD? Many thanks, Katharina
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013