Short term memory loss, change in personality after 2 seizures. Suggestions?

Hi my friend had a seziure 2 weeks ago. He never had one before. The Drs. think it was from medication. Now he is experincing short term memory loss, change in personality, and cant remember information. He will be following up with his drs this week. They say he was fine after the sezuire and there was noyhing to be concerned about.

Asked On : Thu, 17 Oct 2013
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

The first seizure in your friend needs to be investigated, to find out the underlying cause of his seizure. Identification and treatment of the underlying cause could prevent the recurrence of seizure in the future.

Evaluation would include doing a brain scan (CT or MRI of brain), electroencephalography (EEG), blood tests (sugar, calcium, sodium, etc) and screening for toxic substances or drugs.

If his MRI or EEG shows any abnormality, then, long term anti epileptic drugs may be required.

Confusion and memory impairment may occur following a generalized seizure. It usually lasts for 1-2 days, but may last longer in some people.
Please show him to a neurologist.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist