Short temper, stressed, depressed, mood swings. Something I can do?

Hi my boyfriend and I have been together for over a year and just recently (about 5 months after his best friends death) he has begun to act strange. Hes temper has become a lot worse and he has a short fuse. He is only 20. He feels so much stress and pressure even when there isnt things to stress about. Hes not himself and admitted that he is feeling depressed lately. His moods switch in an instant. Is there something i can do about it? Does he need medical help for depression or manic depression? Is there something besides medication to help?
Asked On : Wed, 8 Aug 2012