Short breath. Sweating, heart races, chest feels tight, painful. Smoke menthol cigarettes. Causes?

I've been having these spells of losing my breath without being active at all, mostly just when I'm watching tv. I will start to feel like I'm breathing into a plastic bag, I'll start sweating, my heart will race, and it will just become harder and harder for me to breathe. This will last for about 2-3 minutes more or less. This has been going on now for about 2 1/2 years, my chest just feels tight and painful when this happens, I will also feel very dizzy and scared. This also happens when I take any type of over the counter sleep aid or allergy medicine. I've asked my doctor, he's never seemed concerned nor given me a direct answer or any type of explanation, I'm only 21 and I have a 4 1/2 month old son, I smoke a half a pack of menthol cigarettes everyday. It has been happening more often recently, and I spend 4 days a week at home alone with my son, please help me.
Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013