Shin injury, swollen ankles. Treatment?

My husband injured his sheen 5 days ago, we went to ER and nothing broke but he is getting concerned now because his ankle is starting to swell. I told him if he stayed off his leg more a keep it up e would heel fast. I'm just thinking sense he's on it all day everything running down. I'm just want to make sure m thinking correctly.
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing. Generally, after any injury there will be local inflammatory odema ( swelling ) which should subside within a week. The initial management would be the Rest, Ice compression, limb elevation etc. If the swelling is still persisting even after these measures, you need an xray for the ankle joint to rule out any injury. Hope this helps