Shin indentation, darker skin in area. X-rays show stress fractures of tibia. Treatment?

Hi! I have a problem with my shins. Today I worked out (squats, lunges , etc, 15 minutes) and after tried to go running. I had not ran in about 3 months due to an injury in my LEFT ankle from a rock climbing fall. After running for about 2 minutes, I noticed a dent on my RIGHT shin, about 4-5 inches above my m. malleolus , on the inside part of the leg. The dent felt like it was a muscle that just withered away right at that spot (about 2in circumference )... if I ran my fingers down my tibia , I could easily feel the dip from muscle-y tissue to almost pure bone. It wasn t really painful, more of a discomfort (although I sometimes have freakishly-high pain tolerance ). The skin seemed darker in the crater, although maybe it was just the shadow. After about 3 hours and a warm shower, the dent is not as noticeable, but can still be felt by sliding fingers down the tibia. What is going on? Shin history: Before 2009 I rarely exercised or moved for that matter. 2009 I join a gym and become addicted. I went 5 days a week. Workout consisted mostly of calisthenics and other circuit training style movements. I also ran to add some cardio. I would run around 1 to 2.5 miles 4 times a week. I was doing great with my flat/freestyle shoes, but someone suggested I buy running shoes with pronation support. 6 months later, I get the shoes, start running at same intensity and get insane shin splints . I continue running thinking it was just weakness being worked out. 2010 Shin splints get too bad to handle. I continue working out but start Rowing instead of running. I try running every few weeks but still too painful. I go to a Sports medicine doctor. He takes x-rays and it s clear I have stress fractures of the tibia. Get MRI to confirm. Completely get off my feet until about 6 months later when I try 2 one-mile runs per week. Seem ok, but still some faint pain (still running shoes with support)
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jul 2012