Sharp stabbing pains at top of spine. What could be the reason?

Hi, I have been experiencing discomfort at the top of my spine, from the base of my neck to between my shoulder blades - it started as an intense itching, though there has never been any kind of rash . It s very hot in the area. Recently, I have been getting sharp stabbing pains/spasms that burn - a bit like pins and needles at it s worst! I don t know if I should bother my doctor with it as there is nothing to see, but it s driving me nuts! It s only happening in that localised area. It s been going on for about 8 months, and started when I was sick with glandular fever last November, though I m not assuming the two things are related. Many thanks, Eliz
Asked On : Sun, 20 May 2012