Sharp pains under rib cage and stomach, short breaths every minute. Done X Ray and scan. Is it IBS?

occasionally I get sharp pains and have to take short breaths for a few seconds up to a minute. the pain feels like a sharp blade just stuck me under rib cage on left or right side and seldom in the center of my stomach area about 4 fingers width above the belly button. I have had scans exray, they say IBS....Help please

Asked On : Sun, 13 Oct 2013
Hi ! Good morning. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

If I were your treating doctor, I would have gone for a serum Amylase and Lipase estimation for you specially if you consume any alcoholic beverages, before labeling you as a case of IBS. This investigation is to exclude any possiblility of a chronic pancreatitis causing these symptoms for you.

If you are used to eat outside, then better avoid it as most of these are not made hygienically, and also some components of fast food may not be tolerated by a few which may also cause these kind of vague pains and aches in the abdomen.

I would also advise you to make some dietary modifications in your diet towards more of roughage and enough liquids and avoid fried and oily food.

If none of these measures help, then I would refer you to a gastroenterologist for further tests like an endoscopic evaluation of your intestines before concluding that it is a IBS.

Till then, I would prescribe for you a proton pump inhibitor, a prokinetic and a probiotic drug which may relieve your symptoms.

With all these informations, you can discuss with your family doctor for further steps to be taken in your case.

Thanks for using healthcaremagic for your health query. Wishing you good luck. Dr Shareef.