Sharp pain on swallowing, jaw pain, swelling on left side. Cure for symptoms?

Hi, I don t know how to explain this so well. There is a sharp or aching pain that will get worse and lessen and do that back and forth, and I can feel the pain when I swallow . When I put my finger back there, it s almost at like the back of my jaw, I m not sure if something is swollen. It s only on the left side and I don t remember for sure when it started, but I know it was yesterday or the day before.
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

I am assuming that you have pain only on the left of the jaw and there is not other problem and also the pain although sharp is not causing you any difficulty in swallowing.
With this in the background i would assume that you have either an acute problem of the jaw joint (called the TMJ joint) or the tonsils.
In either all you need to do if your symptoms are not very severe is to take adequate rest on that side and do not chew anything especially hard on that side. Also try not to grind that side, you basically need to give rest to that side of the jaw and i am sure you will recover.
You may take a mild pain killer to relieve the pain till you recover but remember all pain killers should be taken only after food.

if you do not feel better in a day or two then you must definitely consult an ENT who can offer you a permanent solution after proper examination.

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan