Sharp pain in upper back, back bone, under right shoulder. Due to smoking and drinking?

I have been having itchy kind of spasm sharp pain on my back just below the right shoulder for a while now, sometimes I have the pain on my back bone, but now it is more under the right hand shoulder. Every morning when I wake up or when I sneeze I get that biting pain at the same place. This has gone on off and on, now it is being there for 3 months. Could it be a result of smoking and drinking ?
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
It looks to me that you are having symptoms of cervical spondylitis. i would suggest you to take following steps.
1.Avoid using very high pillow, smoking and excessive drinking.
2. Take tablet Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine daiy
3.Apply hot water fomentation and Diclofenec ointment at neck
4.Visit a physiotherapist and start neck muscle strengthening exercises
5.Myoril or Myospaz are muscle relaxant if pain and tightness is very severe
MRI needed if symptoms persist after these steps.