Sharp pain in the throat upon moving the head. Had shingles in the forehead. Prescribed with gabapentin for possible neuralgia

i have random sharp pain (like an icepick being shoved into a nerve) on the back left side of my throat . It usually occurs when i move my head to one side, stand up, or roll over in bed/couch. It usually does not last long, but is very intense. I have had this for 9 1/2 years and have seen numerous ENTs and other docs. it does not seem to be in the inner ear , however, pushing on the spot between the ear and jar sometimes seems to make it stop. When i am up moving continuously it rarely occurs. I did have shingles on the left forhead (above left eye upon returning from Afghanistan in 2003) - some thought possible neuralagia and perscribed gabapentin - just makes me sleep. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Asked On : Sun, 10 Jun 2012