Sharp pain in lower right abdomen. Shakiness, chills, low fever. Serious?

My husband is having sharp pain in his lower right abdomen . He feels very shaky, getting chills, he has not had a bowel movement today and has a fever of 99. He had his appendix removed approximately 6 years ago. He is 46 years old. He was also an alcoholic for most of his adult life until he went through detox the last week of Dec. 2012. He has not had a drink since. He is not sure of he should go to the emergency room. Can you tell me if these symptoms are indicative of anything serious?
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013