Sharp pain in jaw and ear. Why does it hurt?

when i open my mouth i get a sharp pain in my top right jaw and a sharp pain to my ear, i also cant open my mouth when i wake up in the morning.. it hurts when i put pressure down to chew. it feels like my when i open my mouth wide that my jaws going to spilt open? please can you give me an answer as its getting quite painfull now
Asked On : Tue, 18 Sep 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hello I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of information provided it appears you have a problem related to your temporo mandibular joint. As ear and temporomandibular joint has common nerve supply so the disease of this joint may also present with pain in ear.
I would advise you to take analgesic and antiinflammatory tablets for pain and get an ENT consultation done. This will include examination of Temporamandibular joint and ear.You will further require X ray of Temporomandibular joint (mouth open and closed)to look for the joint changes or partial dislocation.

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if your need more information on this

With warm regards
Ravinder Sharma