Sharp pain down left leg, followed by numbness, needle like sensation, stiff and heavy. Anything serious ?

Hi, I ve had this problem for quite a few years now, every few months or so I would go through like a foot phase. During the night I d wake to a very sharp pain down my left leg and it would instantly be in pins and needles, numb and feels extremely stiff and heavy. It takes a good 5minutes for the pain to go away,its so bad I can t move my leg at all! just wondering if you d know if I have any serious problems and not just a severe case of pins and needles. thanks :)
Asked On : Tue, 20 Nov 2012